Beware of Poisonous Plants

Posted by admin


In our daily lives plants are typically considered beneficial. They make our environment beautiful and our diet healthy. We don’t usually think about poisonous plants (like the poison oak pictured above).

When you’re out camping your awareness of the plants around you must increase!

Contact with poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac can totally SCREW your Romantic Camping trip in a BAD way! These plants can cause you to breakout with a painful, itchy and ugly rash that may take weeks to cure. This is NOT the memory you want to have of your Romantic Getaway!

It’s important to remember that the oils from these poisonous plants can be transferred through contact. Poison from these plants can be transferred by clothing or even pet hair. Of course, direct skin-to-skin transfer is possible (and likely) too.

What do you do when you suspect that you just tromped through some poisonous plants?

1) Remove the clothing that has come into contact with the plants. Stick these items in a separate bag, like an extra plastic garbage bag. You will want to wash these clothing items separately.

2) Wash your skin with warm (not hot) water and soap. Then apply rubbing alcohol to the affected area. The rubbing alcohol will help evaporate the badness!

Identify poisonous plants early and avoid them! I’ve posted pictures and descriptions of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac at

Click HERE for more information about poisonous plants!

Next Entries »